DIY: Coin Purse Makeover with Paint and Washi Tape Birds




My inspiration was this super cute wallet by Natural Life:

Photo by www.naturallife.com


Sadly, the shop does not ship internationally, so i had to create my own birdie wallet with paint, washi tape, paper and Mod Podge.





I used a black faux leather coin purse that i recently brought home from the lost and found items at work. 




As a first step, i painted the surface in a beautiful pastel green acrylic paint and used a sponge to dab the color. 






I also painted the zipper, but the nylon fabric next to it was very thirsty, and after two generous coats of green paint, i was no longer willing to waste my precious Martha Stewart paint, and decided to use a different color; a dark purple. Not my favorite color, but it seemed to be the most logical solution.  




While the paint dried, i drew a sketch of the birds, cut them out and covered the shapes with washi tape in a variety of colors. Then i cut off the excess tape.








The wings are cut from scrapbook paper scraps and attached to clear adhesive tape. For the eyes and beaks i used paint chips- a blue eye for me and a brown eye for MisterT :)
Cutting those tiny things was quite a painstaking process and creating the birds took almost an hour. 








The heart is a white felt sticker from a random scrapbook kit that i stamped with a fuchsia and aqua ink pad. 




So, once the paint had dried completely, i covered the front of the purse with a generous coat of ModPodge, attached my little birdies and modpodged everything again.





And that's it- my DIY birdie wallet. 

Admittedly, a bit too girlish for an adult woman, but so super cute! Perhaps i will give it to my niece. Or maybe i'll keep it and use it myself. I'm not sure yet. Should i keep it? Would you keep it?