DIY: No-Sew Summer Curtains



Our bedroom is decorated in red, black and white with red velvet Ikea curtains.
Those red velvet curtains are warm and cozy during fall and winter, but for the summer months i wanted something ligther, preferrably white.


The thing with white however is that it is quite see-through, which is a real problem when you're living in the middle of a major city surrounded by traffic lights and such.
Then i remembered that I've had this bale of fabric; thick and solid white fabric with a beautiful black and gray floral print. You won't believe the next part: i purchased it a few years ago at Ikea for... wait for it....25 cents!



Yes, 25 whopping cents for 25 meters of brand-new fabric!!! That was the most amazing steal ever in my whole life!

Coincidentally the width of the fabric was exactly the width i needed for the window. Moreover, our old curtains are not hemmed and one quick look at the Ikea website told me they are 3 meters long.

So all i had to do was to unroll the bale generously, measure 3 meters, cut a straight line with zig-zag scissors ( to prevent the edges from fraying), step on a ladder, partly remove the old curtains, step back to the ground, grab my camera, step on the ladder to take a photo for my blog, finally remove the curtain, and clip on my piece of fabric.



Back on the ground it hit me that measuring was a waste of time and for the other curtain i could just cut alongside the angle where the fabric meets the floor. So i unrolled my bale again, attached the fabric to the clips, made a  more or less straight cut, et voilĂ !






 My white 25 cents DIY summer curtains ( and still endless meters of fabric left):






Super easy!

However, i recommend measuring and cutting the fabric before you hang it. The cut from my lazy-method did not turn out as nice as the first one.

And here is a before-photo with the red curtains: